The course leads participants through sessions of material covering exploration through appraisal, reserves recognition, development and production to the sales transaction point. Key terminologies and concepts are developed using numerous examples. Attendees will lean fundamental petroleum geology and exploration principles which provide the foundation for drilling, reservoir development and production concepts. At each step we will consider the differences between on and offshore activities and conventional and unconventional resources.
While all companies plan collaboratively, we believe the adaptation of sales & operations planning/integrated business planning from other industries is completely new to upstream. The course is taught in a format that reveals the economics and risk management decisions that are inherent in the industry. Actual examples from industry are used to illustrate decision processes. This course gives participants techniques for improving the cross-functional collaboration across management teams and planning organizations such that the business can respond to changes and take advantage of opportunities that are best for the whole.
The workshop provides an overview of the upstream activities, particularly in Indonesia. The workshop provides non-technical support personnel an overview of the exploration / production process. To arm them with the terminology associated with these procedures and practices which will increase their understanding of the process and facilities communication between them and the engineers and geologist they work with.
During the program, participants will
- Learn all aspects of upstream activities include petroleum engineering and operations are carried out ranging from the origin of oil, petroleum exploration, drilling, hydrocarbon, productions to marketing.
- Learn petroleum engineering and operation's terminology aim to build a better and effective communications between non-technical people and the engineers and geologist they work with.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Workshop delegates include anyone who needs to understand how this cornerstone of the petroleum industry works. New members of the industry will be given a great introduction / production to the industry.
- Non-technical personnel working with and supporting engineers and geologists in the exploration / production process.
- Plus, anyone needing or wanting, an overview of petroleum engineering will find this workshop beneficial.
The Nature and Generation of Petroleum
- The Philosophy of exploration, drilling and production/ development
- Geological background: Sedimentary Rocks, stratigraphy, Geological Time, Geological Structures, Unconformities.
- The dynamic Earth : moving continents through space and time
- Rocks and minerals; The building blocks; Sedimentary basins
- Site of oil and gas accumulations Petroleum
Hydrocarbon Formation & accumulation Theory
- Rocks : their classification, Type, Composition, and rock units/ formations
- Geological Time Scale: absolute and relative Time
- Rock structures: joint/fractures, fold and fault
- Properties of rock
- Hydrocarbon formation
- Origin of oil, source rocks, reservoir rocks, hydrocarbon traps
- Migration and Hydrocarbon Accumulation
- Geological Exploration & Survey: remote sensing Method, geological mapping
- Geophysical Exploration : magnetic, gravity, resistivity magnetometer and seismic surveys
- Interpretation exploration data and prospect decision
- Determination of Exploration well Location
- Drilling history, parts and types of drilling rigs, types of wells
- Drilling process: Drilling formations, running casing, cementing etc.
- Logging: Mud Logging, coring and sidewall cores, wire line logging and LWD
- Types of reservoirs and production wells configurations
- Well treatments fracturing and acidizing
- Separating oil & gas at the surface
- Problems associated with oil & gas production corrosion, scale, paraffin, water disposal
- Fluid injection: water, gas, oil and steam injections (example: Duri Steam Injection Project)
- Oil & gas transporting facilities
- Gas projects in Indonesia Natuna Sea, Sumatra and Irian Jaya & Sulawesi.